The Scarpa Vapor V Gear Review – A long standing popular choice with all climbers everywhere.
Price: £115.00 each but available for less in the UK
Pros: Supportive, excellent performance in thin cracks
Cons: Not as sensitive as softer shoes, buckles can cause pain in wider cracks
Scarpa Vapor V Description
The Vapour V is a performance rock shoe built around the FR last which is the lowest volume of all the range, with a slightly asymmetrical, slightly down turned shape and a medium to low angled toe box to strike a balance between confident smearing and refined toe power. The new microfibre upper and the new tongue marry perfectly with the redesigned Velcro straps for an instantly comfortable fit and secure heel hold. A full length Talyn midsole works with the bi-tension rand system to offer the optimum level of support. Vibram Edge rubber ensures precise edging.
- New heel construction in microfibre reduces weight and dramatically enhances “next to skin” comfort in the Achilles area.
- New heel rand construction provides a more stable and higher friction zone for enhanced performance on more loaded heel hooks.
- Revised toe rand, provides improved comfort and toe hook protection.
- Revised tongue construction is lighter, more breathable and retains its shape and positioning through the additional elastic in the closure.
SCARPA athlete and well-known climber Robbie Phillip’s has written a series of informative guides on how to choose and get the most out of your climbing shoes. You can check them out here.
Scarpa Vapor V Specifications
- Material(s): Microsuede Upper, Synthetic
- Sole: VIBRAM® XS Edge
- Resoling Possible
- Weight 420g per pair 42
- Indoor Climbing, Trad Climbing, Sport-Climbing, bouldering
The Jurassic Verdict
The Scarpa Vapor V is a workhorse. Size these shoes tight, and they edge well and excel at bouldering and sport climbing. Size them bigger, and it’s game for all-day multi-pitch action, stiff enough to provide support for the long haul. The Bi-tension rand creates a feel and performance similar to the classic La Sportiva Katana Lace, but with a slightly more narrow fit, particularly in the heel cup. We like this shoe and recommend it, if it fits wear it!